Strawberries everywhere! Isn’t it awesome? Well I think it is! So this being the season to get some good strawberries at a reasonable price, this weekend I decided to put together a nice combo of Strawberry Cupcakes with Yogurt Frosting ! And they came out so delicious that I actually ate 3 on the same day. Ups! I still have time for the bikini season ok? Anyway they don’t have that much calories, since the frosting is yogurt, so I can say they’re AT LEAST a bit healthier than with buttercream frosting right?
So in the past week my Instagram home was flooded by strawberries, mainly with chocolate cakes or toppings, and then the classic with whipped cream. And even me knowing these combos are totally yums I really didn’t feel like more chocolate. Yes, I had too much last weekend. So in the spirit of the summer is coming, why not yogurt frosting? I searched a bit, not much I might say so, and I found Cupcake Project with a recipe that promised not too much sugar and good results. So I tried it. Honestly I think I should have gotten a ticker type of yogurt, I got a natural full fat Turkish yogurt, that turned out to be a bit watery, but anyway it tasted good so, no problem. I had to leave it a little longer in the fridge and problem solved.
For the cupcakes I mixed a little bit of some recipes that I had made before, testing as I was going and I’m pretty proud of the result. They were very moist inside, with the amount of strawberries I mashed in the batter this is totally acceptable, and actually they had a solid crust on the outside and really spongy on the inside. If you don’t like this idea, I suggest adding less strawberries and more flour, but I was totally ok with this result. So ok that I ate a bunch of them. Just don’t worry if they are not the usual type of texture you’re used to, they are still cooked and they still taste awesome, so it’s ok. Also the batter was so pink, and that was totally cute. No food coloring needed!
So here’s what you’ll need (makes 18 cupcakes):
- 500g of Strawberries for the batter + around 150 g more for the frosting.
- 125g of butter
- 150g of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250g of flour
- 1 tsp of bakıng soda
- 250g of full fat yogurt
- 80g of confectioners sugar /icing sugar
And here’s how you do it:
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180C and line your cupcake tray with papers.
2) With your electric blender reduce the strawberries until they are baby food like pure and set aside.
3) In a clean bowl put the butter and with the electric beater cream it until it’s lighter in color and creamy. Add the sugar and beat. Add the eggs and beat until all the mix is homogeneous.
4) Add the flour mixed with the baking soda, and alternate with the strawberry pure, until you’re done with both and have a nice pink batter. Add to your cupcake tray and bake in the oven for around 30 minutes. Please check once in a while to make sure they don’t burn.
5) When they’re cooked, leave them outside to cool and in the meantime we can prepare the frosting.
6) In a clean bowl add the yogurt and sift the sugar into it. Then chop the remaining strawberries (around 4 or 5) into the mix. Take your yogurt frosting into the fridge and leave it there for around 30 to 40 minutes. And it will be ready to put on top of your delicious cupcakes. and Voila!!
It’s important that if you put the frosting on top of all the cupcakes, to eat them in the same day or if not put them in the fridge since the yogurt goes bad quite easily. In my case I just frosted some cupcakes to eat immediately, left the rest of the cupcakes without frosting and left the remaining frosting in the fridge to use later . This way works better for me I guess, since I don’t have a gigantic fridge to store 18 cupcakes 🙂
Give a try and I promise you won’t regret it.
The summer is coming so less chocolate and more fruit in my belly 🙂
Leave a comment and share your ideas!