CHOCOLATE AGAIN? YES PLEASE! Brazilian traditional party food calls for Brigadeiros! And if you don’t know what those are, you are about to learn! Brigadeiros are mini treats of squishy, gooey, chocolaty goodness! They are easy, fast, cheap and pack so much flavor it’s impossible not to like them!
Even thought I have no Brazilian heritage whatsoever (I guess), Brazilian recipes tend to expand to Portugal as we do speak the same language, Portuguese. So brigadeiros even if they are traditionally a common party food in Brazil, you can easily find them in small get-togethers in Portugal as eventually somebody knows how to make them.
Anyway, this recipe needs a specific ingredient that is condensed milk. One of my friends had 2 spare cans of this that he wanted to use, so in come the brigadeiros. Here in Turkey condensed milk is hard to find, so if you are here and would like to try this recipe you can make your own condensed milk at home. Recipe here. I didn’t do it this time, so I won’t go into detail on that, but condensed milk is basically a reduction of milk and sugar, that produces a thick sweet sauce that can be used in a lot of other recipes.
This recipe takes around 40 minutes to make, just takes a little bit of waiting for the mix to cool down, but no hard work at all. For this, and because they are bite size, they are ideal if you invited to much people for dinner and don’t really want to have a lot of dirty dishes. If you hate doing the dishes like me, this is a very important pro.
So here’s what you need ( makes around 20 pieces)
- 1 can of condensed milk (400 ml)
- 4 tbsp of chocolate powder
- 1 tbsp of unsalted butter
- Around 60g /a small bottle of chocolate sprinkles (dark or white)
And here’s how you do it:
1) In a pan mix your condensed milk, chocolate powder and butter until you have a smooth mixture.
2) Put it over medium heat, and keep stirring until it gets thicker. This mix will boil for around 15 to 20 minutes, and you should keep stirring all the time so it doesn’t form lumps.
3) The mix will be ready when you can scrape the bottom of the pan, and you can see the bottom, meaning that the mix is thick is enough and you can remove it from the heat.
4) Pass it to a cold bowl and let it cool until it’s room temperature, a little warmer is ok, since you will be touching it. Don’t put it in the fridge, it will get too hard to manage.
5) Fill a plate with your chocolate sprinkles.
6) With your hands, pick up around a tea spoon full of the cool chocolate mix and make small balls with your hands. If this is too sticky, rub some butter on your hands, this will make the rolling out way easier.
7) Pass this ball to the sprinkle plate and roll it around until it’s all coated in sprinkles and set aside on a small paper form (mini cupcake paper forms work as well, it’s what I used).
This might seam a little messy, but honestly apart from your hands, there is not that much more mess in the kitchen, like dishes, which is awesome. Also the rolling out of the little brigadeiros is super easy, and doesn’t take that long, so you can have desert ready in around 40 minutes no problem. Look at them all cute and shiny.
It was a success, I made around 40 because I doubled the recipe and had 8 people over for dinner. They were all gone that night. They are super sweet and the texture is just divine. Give it a try, you will be going back for these babies. Hope you enjoy! Comment below if you have any question! Cheers!