This is the season for Grapefruits to be super cheap and so here’s a cake to use all those fruits we have lying around. This is a simple fluffy cake, so easy to make in fact that I find it ideal for a Sunday morning bake. How lovely would it be to have a slice of this baby after a nice hearty breakfast?
This recipe is based on Sally’s Baking Addiction Lemon layer cake. I wanted to use this nice bundt tin that I got for Christmas so a simple cake to test the waters sounded like the thing to go. I was planning on making it a lemon cake but then again Grapefruits are super cheap when they’re in season, and how cute are they with their peachy-pink color? I love it. I must admit that I though the batter would turn out pinker than it actually did, so I just went ahead and added a bit of pink colouring. No harm done and totally optional.
Let’s get started then!
Yield: 1 6 inch cake or bundt cake
Prep + Baking time: 1h30 minutes
- 190g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 115g butter at room temperature
- 175g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 120ml of buttermilk
- 1 tbsp (very full) of lemon zest
- 1/3 cup of fresh grapefruit juice
- Pink Colouring (Optional)
- 150g of icing sugar
- 3 tbsp of grapefruit juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together on high speed until you have a pale and fluffy mix.
- Add the 2 eggs and whisk until it’s all combined.
- With the mixer on low add the dry ingredients and whisk only until combined.
- Add the buttermilk, zest and juice and whisk on low until combined. You don’t want to over mix this batter. Add the colorant here if using.
- Spray your cake tin with baking spray and add the batter in.
- Bake for 27 minutes or until it’s completely baked. Let cool for 30minutes.
- In a small bowl add the icing sugar and 1 tbsp at a time at the grapefruit juice until you have a pourable glaze.
- When the cake is completely cold, pour the glaze on top of the cake and serve.
See? Easy right? Anyway this is a totally unpretentious cake that takes amazing! So moist and fluffy. Really worth a try.
Usually you can watch me bake it on my insta stories highlights, but I lost the videos of me baking it because I’m one of those people who doesn’t back up anything. Lesson learned I guess ! Do share with me if you try the recipe and enjoy it.